Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Great Baseball!

To be frank, I am not a Minnesota Twins fan, but I do like the Twins - they play hard, smart baseball and despite not being in a "big" market, draft well and compete.

As a kid, I remember that I was in awe with the Metrodome - it was so loud! I loved the homer hankies, and watching Dan Gladden and Kirby Puckett play the plexiglass outfield wall like hockey players playing the boards. Plus, two cities that have been home to me - Salt Lake City, UT and Rochester, NY - have been the Triple-A home for the Twins for the past 15 years or so.

Watching the game last night, it brought back some of those memories...I couldn't get over the fact that there is always amazing October baseball in that building. What made it even more special was that Alexis Casilla was a player that I knew in the minor leagues - I was a broadcaster in Provo (UT) with the Angels when he was a second basemen who helped us win a league title. His hit made up for his less-than-stellar base running in the 10th.

We will never have 55,000 people in Walla Walla (the whole region has about 45,000) at a ballgame, but watching last night reminded me of how exciting baseball can be and how good it is for a community.

No comments:

Post a Comment