The Sweets have hit the road for the first time this season. The team bus left Borleske Stadium at 7:00 a.m. and arrived in Bend, Ore., at 12:30 p.m. Game one is tonight at 5:00 p.m. against the Elks at Vince Genna Stadium.
Here are some notes from around the ballpark:
- The Sweets split six games with the Elks last summer, taking two-of-three here in Bend last August. Those two wins were instrumental in the Sweets' postseason run.
- Walla Walla went 13-14 on the road last season.
- Last season, the Sweets had their most successful road trip last August starting in Bend. The Sweets won two against Bend and then two against Cowlitz to go 4-2.
- Walla Walla has been lead by a trio of players that have Walla Walla CC roots. Jarrod Turner leads the team with a .389 average, Marc Garza is hitting .357 and Alex Bonczyk is hitting .320. One other WWCC prodcut, Jared Jordan, has driven in five runs.
- The Sweets have clubbed 16 extra base hits in the first six games of the season.
- Ben Ruff leads the team with four extra base hits and is slugging .667.
- Kyle Kingsley will get the start on the mound for the Sweets. It is second start of the summer. He earned a win in his first start, allowing one run on seven hits over 6 1/3 innings against Corvallis.
Walla Walla continues their six-game trip on Monday with a 12:05 first pitch against the Elks. It will be the Sweets' earliest game of the season. Zach Brandon is the scheduled starter on Tuesday.