The Sweets have returned from Canada and find themselves in Bremerton, Wash., to begin a three-game series with Kitsap. The two teams were scheduled to start their series on Saturday but poor field conditions caused the cancellation of the game. Due to that, the teams will play a doubleheader today starting at 4:05 p.m.
Now for some notes from around the ballpark:
- The Sweets welcome back Joe Arlt, Jarrod Turner and Marc Garza on Sunday. The three were unable to make the trip to Kelowna due to passport problems.
- The Sweets have also announced the signing of right-hander Kody Young from Liberty University. Young pitched for the Sweets in 2010 and was scheduled to pitch for them last summer before being shutdown.
- Friday's loss to Kelowna marked the second time this season the Sweets have blown an eighth-inning lead.
They let a 4-2 lead slip away in the eighth inning against Corvallis on Opening Night.
- Alex Bonczyk came through big on Friday, delivering a two-out, two-strike, two-run triple to right field to give the Sweets a 2-1 lead. Brett Jacobs followed with a single to make it 3-1.
- Hunter Virant pitched well in his first start of the summer, allowing just one run on one hit in five innings. He walked seven and struck out four.
- Sunday's doubleheader with Kitsap will be the second time this season the teams will have played a doubleheader. They played two games on June 5 at Borleske Stadium. The Sweets won the first game and lost game two in nine innings.
- Both games today are scheduled for seven innings.
- Matt Imhof will pitch game one of the doubleheader and Zach Brandon will get game two.
- It will be Imhof's second start of the summer, while Brandon will be making his third start against WCL opponents. He allowed two runs over five innings against Kitsap back on June 5.