The Sweets had several opportunities to take their series-opener with Wenatchee on Monday night but could not complete the comeback, falling 3-2. It was the first of four meetings this week between the two teams.
Now for some notes from around the ballpark:
- The Sweets struck out 15 times on Monday, the most this season. They struck out eight times with runners in scoring position.
- Walla Walla struck out three consecutive times after Kalani Brackenridge led off the third with a double.
- The Sweets then loaded the bases with no out in the seventh and only scored one run. Drew Jacobs struck out back-to-back batters before Alex Bonczyk made it 3-2 with an infield single.
- Shane Zeile led off the eighth with a triple to center field but Jacobs struck out the next three to strand him.
- On the season, the Sweets are hitting .274 with runners in scoring position and just .193 with runners in scoring position and two outs.
- Zach Brandon started and lasted four innings. He threw one bad pitch and it resulted in a three-run home run in the third with two outs. He struck out four and walked one in the outing.
- Joe Arlt appeared out of the bullpen for the second-straight game and tossed four scoreless innings. He allowed just two hits and four baserunners in total. In his last seven outings, Arlt has allowed just two runs on 12 hits. He has struck out 14 over his last 17 innings.
- Zeile's triple gives the Sweets four players that have two three-baggers on the season.
- Spencer O'Neil extended his on-base streak to 14 games with a pinch-hit single in the seventh. The hit drove in his 20th run of the season and was his first hit against a left-hander.