Walla Walla had to rally from two runs down twice in the final two innings, finally earning a walk-off victory on a wild pitch, 8-7. The victory improved the Sweets to 3-1 in non-league games.
Now some notes from around the ballpark:
- The Sweets scored four runs in the bottom of the eighth to overcome a 3-1 deficit but gave up four runs in the top of the ninth. They scored all three runs in the ninth with two outs.
- In the eighth, Kris Paulino made it 3-2 with an RBI triple and Alex Bonczyk tied the game with a bloop single. Shane Zeile broke the 3-3 tie with a two-run home run to left.
- In the ninth, Paulino brought the Sweets within one with a double to left and scored the tying run on a throwing error. With J.J. Robinson at the plate and the bases loaded, the first pitch went to the backstop and Bonczyk scored from third ahead of the throw.
- Zeile's home run was his second in as many games and his third of summer. All three of his home runs have come with two strikes in the count.
- Paulino finished with three hits and three RBI. All three of his hits were for extra bases, with two doubles and a triple.
- Bonczyk finished with two hits and also scored two runs.
- Doug Ashby earned the win with three innings of relief. He faced the minimum over the first two innings but was touched for four runs in the ninth. It was his first win of the summer.
- DJ Smith started for the Sweets, allowing three runs over six innings. He gave up all three runs in the third inning. He struck out five.
- The Sweets improved to 10-7 at Borleske Stadium this summer and 3-1 against non-league opponents.
- Garrett Tygerson will start tonight for the Sweets. It is his first start of the summer. He made one start last summer for Wenatchee.