Bellingham picked up its eighth shutout of the season on Tuesday as Adam Gunn and Davis Engel combined to shutout the Sweets on nine hits. The loss put the Sweets on the brink of being eliminated from playoff contention.
Now for some notes from around the ballpark:
- The Sweets drop to 19-26 with the loss. They are nine games behind Bellingham with nine to play. They need to win out and have the Bells lose all nine to have a chance at making the playoffs.
- It is the third time in the last two seasons that the Bells have shut out the Sweets.
- Bellingham leads the league with eight team shutouts this summer.
- Adam Gunn struck out 11 batters over eight scoreless innings on Tuesday. He is now 4-0 on the year.
- Tyler Roberts started for the Sweets and struck out a season-high six batters over five-plus innings. He allowed four runs on five hits.
- Connor Lawhead made his first appearance of the summer in relief, allowing just one hit over three scoreless innings. He struck out three.
- Shane Zeile had two hits and now has five in his last two games.
- J.J. Robinson had two hits, including his fifth double of the season.
- Joe Arlt will start on Wednesday for the Sweets. He is 2-2 in a team-high 15 appearances. He allowed five runs (one earned) on Saturday against Wenatchee.