Tuesday, February 16, 2016

A Most Unique Off Season

What did I do this off-season? I find this question amusing this year simply because this off-season was more than a little unique compared to all the others. In early November my husband (J.C.) and I welcomed our first child, a beautiful and healthy baby girl named Ariana. So while this off-season ended up meaning time away from baseball, it was by no means an off-season.

The last few months have passed by quickly, and quite honestly it's been a bit of an exhausted blur. The months of September and October were spent touching base with many of our corporate partners as I worked to transition out of the front office for maternity leave. Cue November and our bundle of joy arrived, meaning the next few months were spent elbows deep in diapers, laundry, more diapers, and more laundry, with a few late night feedings thrown in just for fun. I was overwhelmed after the arrival of Ariana by the number of people from the Sweets community who offered congratulations, brought by fresh meals, sent gifts, and overall embraced our growing family. It reminded me how fortunate I am to have met such amazing people and how grateful I am to call so many of you friends.

When I wasn't busy with diapers and sneaking sleep whenever I could manager, my time off was spent visiting with family and adjusting to parenthood. I will continue to be grateful to the Sweets organization for allowing me the time off. Despite Zachary's insistence that I not worry about the Sweets, I have to admit I wasn't really able to turn of the GM mindset entirely. I ventured downtown to check-in and visit more than once, and was excited to get back to work planning for 2016.

The transition back to the office has been relatively smooth, and baby Ariana makes an excellent Assistant GM when she finds herself tucked in behind my desk (even if she sleeps through 50% of the important decisions). It will come as a surprise to no one if her first word is baseball or Sweets, and I'm certain her best friend will be Sweet Lou.

As the season approaches (and it's coming faster than I was prepared for) there is still plenty of work to be done.  Over the next 100 days I'll be working with Frank to finalize the roster, finalizing promotions and in-game entertainment, preparing the menu, transitioning the stadium, hiring our game day staff, and so much more. The entire front office seems to be buzzing with life as we gear up for what is promising to be our best season yet. I truly can't wait to welcome everyone through the gates on Opening Day to celebrate season #7!




No comments:

Post a Comment