It is becoming apparent that Bend just might have the Sweets' number this year. For the fourth time this season, the Sweets put the tying runs on base in the ninth inning only to come up short against the Elks on Tuesday. Logan Frandsen caught Shane Zeile's fly ball to right-center while he was falling to the ground to close out the 1-0 victory for Bend.
Now some notes from around the ballpark:
- The loss on Tuesday snapped the Sweets' season-long three-game winning streak.
- The Sweets are now 0-4 against the Elks this season.
- Arturo Reyes was dominant in defeat, scattering four hits in a complete game. He struck out seven and walked only two. He didn't allow a hit after the fourth inning.
- It was Reyes's second complete game on the summer but it dropped his record to 2-1.
- Shane Zeile made his debut with the Sweets on Tuesday and he officially fills out the 2012 roster. Zeile started at third and batted fifth.
- He made three outstanding defensive plays behind Reyes and nearly won the game in the bottom of the ninth inning.
- Kyle Kingsley will get the start on Wednesday for the Sweets. He is 1-1 with a 6.89 ERA in three starts to date. He has faced Bend once already this season, allowing three runs on seven hits over 5.1 innings. He did not walk a batter and struck out five.
- He gave up eight runs in four innings against Kelowna in his last start.