The sun has finally come back out in Walla Walla today. After nearly two full days of rain, it appears the Sweets and BlueJackets will finish their three-game series under sunny skies. In fact, it has rained in all five games the Sweets have played this season, including yesterday's doubleheader.
The Sweets and BlueJackets split their two seven-inning games last night, the Sweets winning 2-1 and the BlueJackets taking a 3-2 decision.
Here are some notes from around the ballpark:
- Monday's rainout was the first postponed game for the Sweets since their first season back in 2010. They played 64 games last year without a cancellation.
- Due to the rainout, the Sweets and BlueJackets played two seven-inning games, splitting the pair.
- In the first game, Arturo Reyes tossed a complete game to pick up the win. He scattered five hits, struck out seven and did not walk a batter. He set down 13-straight and 16 of the final 17 to end the game.
- Jared Jordan provided all the offense, driving in both runs with a sac flies in the third and fifth innings. He scored Jarrod Turner with both.
- Marc Garza's two-run home run gave the Sweets a 2-1 lead in game two but Kitsap rallied to tie the game in the sixth and then scored the winning run in the top of the ninth on an infield single.
- Zach Brandon struck out six and didn't issue a walk in five-plus innings.
- Also, the Sweets made just one error in the doubleheader. Since making seven in the first two games, the Sweets have made just two in the last three.
- Walla Walla's temp players are all contributing. Turner is hitting .429 and has scored a team-high four runs. He is also sporting a .556 on-base percentage. Despite hitting just .167, Jordan is tied for the team lead with five RBI. In just three games with the Sweets, Garza is hitting .455 and has played a solid first base.
- Going back to some news from yesterday, Spencer O'Neil was named the WCL Co-Player of the Week for his performance against Corvallis. He went 5-for-11 with five RBI in the three-game series.
- Alex Bonczyk continues to show off his speed this year. He had a pair of bunt singles in yesterday's first game and has made several tough plays look easy in the outfield.
- The loss to Kitsap in game two snapped the Sweets' nine-game winning streak against the BlueJackets. It stretched all the way back to July 29 of 2010.
- Tonight is the first theme night of the year at the ballpark. Tonight's theme is 80's Night! All the staff will be dressed up and we will be sure to post some pictures of the staff and fans following the game.
Walla Walla concludes its opening homestand on Thursday against the Northwest Honkers. Game time is 7:05 p.m.