The Sweets couldn't pick up the series sweep of the Black Bears on Thursday, falling 5-3. The Sweets did win the series, 2-1.
Now for some notes from around the ballpark:
- The Sweets were unable to sweep Cowlitz for the first time in team history.
- Cowlitz scored all five of its runs with two outs and nobody on base.
- The Sweets trailed 3-0 until the sixth inning when Shane Zeile hit a three-run home run to tie the game. It was Zeile's third home run in the past week and a half.
- Of his four total home runs, three have either given the Sweets the lead or tied the ballgame.
- Matt Imhof suffered his third loss of the summer on Thursday, allowing five runs on seven hits over 6.1 innings.
- DJ Smith was strong in relief, tossing 1.2 scoreless innings. Smith hasn't allowed a run in each of his last three appearances, spanning four innings.
- The Sweets now begin a three-game series in Klamath Falls. The Sweets went 4-2 against the Gems last year. This is the first meeting this season.
- Kyle Kingsley will start for the Sweets tonight. The right-hander is 2-1 with a 5.60 ERA on the season. He allowed three runs on seven hits over 5.2 innings in his last start, a victory over Wenatchee.