The Sweets begin their final 14 games of the summer tonight when they welcome Wenatchee. Walla Walla has enjoyed two consecutive off days due to the All-Star Game.
Now for some notes from around the ballpark:
- With their 3-1 victory over Klamath Falls on Sunday, the Sweets improved to 16-24 through 40 games. It was their first victory over the Gems this summer.
- It also snapped Klamath's 11-game winning streak.
- Joe Arlt pitched the first eight innings, allowing just one run on six hits. He struck out five and has struck out a team-high 33 batters this summer.
- He improved to 2-1 with the victory and has allowed just five runs over his last 12 appearances.
- Simon Anderson earned his third save of the year on Sunday, pitching a scoreless ninth.
- Alex Bonczyk had two hits and now has 41 on the season. He is one of just 10 players in the league to have 40-plus hits.
- Arturo Reyes, Hunter Virant and Shane Zeile played in the All-Star Game for the Sweets.
- Reyes tossed a scoreless fourth inning.
- Virant allowed one hit in 2/3 of relief. He was named the Top Prospect on the East squad by the MLB Scouting Bureau.
- Zeile went 1-for-4 in the game with a single. He was also in the Home Run Derby, finishing third. He hit five in the first round, one in the second and lost a swing-off with Austin Byler, 3-1.
- Tyler Billen will start for the Sweets tonight. He is 1-0 with a 4.26 ERA on the summer. It is his first start of the summer. He has allowed just one run over his last nine innings, spanning four appearances.